Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:14:19 -0500
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Dec 22, 2004, at 12:02 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

SNIPS from Dean's Post

> From:    Dean Sturtz <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: NFPA 232 The Gift that keeps on Giving
>
> I am a new subscriber to the listserv and joined the records management
> industry two years ago as a co-owner in Advantage Records Management &
> Storage.

>  As a commercial lender I know many companies do not
> realize the value of their records until they have suffered a
> catastrapic
> event, and they are no longer availabe to them.
>
> I am very interested in the proposed NFPA 232 policy changes and have
> decided to send in my own response to the NFPA.

All the NFPA Committee has heard for the last four years is that PRISM
represents the Records Storage Community and as such that their efforts
to lobby for eliminating fire wall compartments in records warehouses.
This is critically important that Independent Records Storage Companies
will speak out on this issue.

Allstate Records in Paterson, New Jersey and Docusafe in Princeton, NJ
actually took the time and traveled to the NFPA meeting in Baltimore at
their own expense to alert the NFPA Technical committee that PRISM does
not represent the 400 plus members of that organization but more
accurately the interests of a few records storage companies.  When
PRISM appealed the NFPA's international membership's decision to leave
the 250,000 cubic foot compartment size in the Standard, they were only
able to garner the support of 12 companies to sign their petition.

It is important to note that the vast majority of the records centers
that exist in this country have less than 250,000 boxes in their
center.  Therefore the majority have no problem with the Standard.  But
once "the few" gut out the Standard by removing this requirement, no
matter how many fires we have in huge paper storage warehouses ( to
call them records centers would be a mistake) the Standard will never
be put back right.

This is really your last chance to have a say.  If you need the form to
submit the Comment in the format the the NFPA requires it to be in to
create a vote, let Larry or I know and we will email you the PDF form.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM