Sender:
From:
Amy Conant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:32 -0700
"Several tens of years!  Does this not worry you!  My goodness that is not a
long time in the world of archives/records management!"

Yes, this scares me greatly.  So much is dependant on the care and feeding of the CD.  Such as extremes in temp.  We have been working on a plan to open/review and copy our archived data that is on optical disks every two years.  This seems extreme to some, but concerns about equipment and software being available to read the data when needed is a huge concern.  We have many people in our organization that are using CD's to store permanent records.  Very scary.  Slowly we are beginning to get the word out that this may not be the best thing to do.  Hopefully it will not be too late...