Sender:
From:
Mary Haider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:16:30 -0600
I just received (from an I/T colleague) a copy of a report "Records
Retention" summarizing a conference call on March 13, 2003.  This
organization is:  "a members-only, peer-driven, knowledge sharing
organization for senior IT and IT Human Resources executives. We provide
our member organizations the invaluable opportunity to share ideas,
insights and solutions with other IT and IT HR executives in an open,
vendor- and consultant-free environment."

The organizations participating in the conference call were Duke
Energy, Eastman Chemical, Hewitt Associates, IMF, Landmark Graphics,
Morris,Manning & Martin; Waste Management; Wells Real estate Funds; and
Williams.

Just wondering if any Records Managers with these organizations are
connected to these I/T Executives?   The summary report doesn't tell us
anything we don't already know.  Here's my summary of the report:
1.  no single answer
2.  clearly document the logic behind the records retention policy
3.  ensure enforcement of the policy
4.  have a sound process for turning off the destruction process
5.  important that ALL employees understand and adhere to the policy
6.  need for frequent/effective employee communication
7.  clearly document who is responsible for policy creation; policy
modification; education; enforcement; management/administration;
exception approval
8.  acknowledges that email, IM and voice mail are issues
9.  identifying and retrieving relevant information is one of the most
challenging issues for companies facing a potential claim
10.  permanent retention creates significant challenges
11.  most companies do not have a process for categorizing or indexing
records.

The group expressed an interest in reconvening to discuss additional
issues, potential solutions, etc.
Did they?

Thanks Mary

Mary W. Haider, Records Manager