Sender:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:11:28 -0800
From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of M.Yeung
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 6:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: File format in the EDMS

Dear all

Happy New Year!

I am a newcomer to the EDMS. I am working in a toy and games company. We are
planning to upload the electronic quality assurance product files into the
Livelink (EDMS). We have some questions regarding our design. Just wondering
if you could give us some advice.

1.      If we save the documents into PDF format in the Livelink, is it
possible to change it back to their native format for updating the documents
in the future?

>> There are some tools that will convert PDF to text or MS Word.  The
conversion is not guaranteed to be perfect, but I have been surprised at how
much of the formatting is recreated.

2.      If we use the renditions capability, we may save the documents as
PDF as well as their native format.  Is it necessary to save the native
format in "read-only" to "lock" the document?

>> As long as you prevent a version being changed or replaced, you are
covered.  In many applications I have built, we run separate security on the
PDF versus the Word file.  Word is the editorial base, PDF is the release
format.

3.      There are some external databases, such as Intranet, in our company.
Some of our colleagues suggest to hyperlink them with the Livelink. The
databases are only allowing some staff to "read-only" and restricted access.
However, there is no audit trail. Will the integrity and authentic of the
documents be affected?

>> Not sure how they want to hyperlink.  Livelink security and audit
features should still be in effect as long as you link through LL. DO NOT
LET THEM GO DIRECTLY TO THE FILE ON DISK.

Thanks and regards
Muriel Yeung

http://au.movies.yahoo.com