Sender:
From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:57:55 -0600
On a side note, I listened to FIOS, Inc.'s webinar on Tuesday with Mr. Browning Marean (of DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary) entitled, "Emerging Trends in Discovering and Responding to Electronic Discovery: What You Need to Know Now!"

His first bullet point: the organization must have a sound document retention policy.  The RP is very difficult to create and more difficult to implement.

He made no mention of the role of the RIMgr.

He credited IT with information custody and the information map of any organization.  Quote, "The map of servers and information is generally 'about' six months out of date, but that's where you'll find all the appropriate information--so contact them first."

Still no mention of the RIMgr.

So, at the conclusion of the presentation, I posed the obvious question: if the organization has a records and information manager, who would you contact first?  His response: "I'd hold the very first meeting with both records management and the appropriate IT staff.  If you have a Records Manager in-house, your job just got ten times easier."

Mimi Dionne