Sender:
From:
Maria Bernier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:04:08 -0500
Hello all --

This is my first live encounter with the records management list, though
I've already dug through the list archives for information on a few
topics.  Today, I'm looking for information on actual fee structures for
off-site records storage, preferably in or around NYC.  Would anyone in New
York or another metropolitan area be willing to share numbers?

A bit of background for this request: In 1989, the administration at Mystic
Seaport (maritime museum in southeastern CT) negotiated the transfer of
records from a firm in NYC.  The collection is highly restricted, and
Mystic Seaport has few rights to the material.  Nevertheless, we are
spending a lot of money housing it, and we have spent a lot of money over
the past 15 years cataloging the collection and filling the company's
requests for copies.

All of this is about to change, as we negotiate a revised contract with
company. As a reality check, I'd like to tell them how much money they
would be spending to store this collection at an off-site records
management facility in New York.

I don't need to know anything potentially sensitive, like how much money
your institution spends on storage each year or how you feel about the
vendor.  I'm just interested in the dollar figures for such things as
storage (per box or unit), retrieval and refiling fees, transfer fees,
etc.  If you're willing to share, please respond to me off-list with the
numbers and location of the storage site.  And anyone else who's interested
in this info -- let me know, and I'll summarize the responses.

With thanks in advance,

Maria Bernier
Ships Plans Librarian

Mystic Seaport