Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:38:41 -0500
From:
wsteven1 <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
To: "Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM" <[log in to unmask]>
One means to influence state governments is to consider what they are looking
for...is it a Records Manager or is it an Archivist?  My answer is BOTH!  I've
just started applying for RIM/Archivy positions as part of my last semester
before graduation from the UT Knoxville's School of Information Sciences (THE
University of TENNESSEE to you Peter) and have noted that MANY of those
positions require an individual who'se experienced/trained in BOTH Records
Management AND Archivy.  While there's an excellent Archival Program at East
Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee (just 120 miles NE of
Knoxville), they have NO provision for Records Management in their program.
While the SIS program has Dr. Mike Pemberton, CRM, FAI as a faculty member
(and my mentor/advisor), it has NO provision for Archivy.  Speaking as an
individual who'se interested in both RIM/Archivy, I've had to educate and
train myself through working with Dr. Pemberton to develop a curriculum that's
got BOTH aspects.  That has involved attending classes and practicums, subject
matter readings, and 'informal training' at both universities, because what
was required to do BOTH was not offered TOTALLY at either one!  As a
first-year, full member of ARMA, I've also come to realize that renewal of my
ARMA dues will also entail joining the Society of American Archivists as a
full-fledge member.  It ALSO entails getting folks like myself hired into
these positions within the state government structure to prove the value, both
tangible and intangible, of Records Management as well as Archivy.

Dr. Choksy, I hope this gives you (and the rest of the RIM 'fraternity') some
'food for though'!

Bill Stevens

PS...Andrew Taylor...I'm ready to move to Georgia!!!

>===== Original Message From "Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM"
>Peter asked a question that I would love to see an answer to: how do we
influence state governments in even a fraction of the way ARMA is beginning to
influence the federal government?