Sender:
From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:38:08 -0600
Questions on vault construction to kick off a Monday morning.
     Background: I've got a department that wants to outsource the storage
and processing of engineering drawings,apeture cards and microfilm.  They
want the processing and storage to be at the same site.  The local vendors
can handle various parts of the request each but nobody can do it all
currently.  We've got a mixture of masters/duplicates and god knows what
all mixed together - but that's a different post.  We want to vault at
least a portion of these records.
     One of the companies we're looking at  is going to consider setting
up a new facility that can do it all and they seem to be the leader from a
processing standpoint.  The building they want to use is very old and
divided into 10 thousand sq ft sections with 9-10 inch brick walls between
sections.  They want to build the vault in a section of this building
covering 5 thousand sq ft. .  I've read over NFPA 232 and have corrected
alot of the problems with the plan to use this building and the vault but
still have questions on the vault construction itself.  This building has
many 8"x8" posts that will have to be incorporated into this vault space.
They're also looking at only building it to a 2 hour spec-which is the
minimum to make it be considered a vault.   Questions I have are: 1) how
do they incorporate the posts and still maintain the fire rating- they say
they use ceramic covers on the posts, 2) How does the vault roof (9Ft)
maintain its integrity within the building if a fire brings down the
structure roof, 3) Won't the destruction of the posts help with the
destruction of the overriding structure, 4) Heres a stupid one- How does
the 2 hr new construction vault rate in comparison to an older 4 hr rated
cement block vault.  I'm hoping Hugh might comment but the rest should
feel free to respond as they've laid out an impressive looking plan but
looking at the building in person I've just got this nagging feeling that
something just isn't right.  Please Help.

Thanks- Steve