Sender:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:24:22 -0700
From:
Maarja ... I have to agree with you on this subject.  In deference to my
learned colleagues who are working in the public sector and think they have
everything in their organization in electronic format then I think they may
need to get out of their office and take a walk around their organization.

Unless the organization has removed all printers, restricts the use of
laptops, handhelds, palms, IM, blogs and their local website, only then will
they may possible be able to control documents.

Yes, specific areas of public records can be controlled, if you have
diligent document managers (and I assume some replying to this list are ...
maybe one or two), who can control the input of specific records series into
an electronic documents into their system.  But ....  If you have the
documents in the system and individuals have access to the documents, they
may have the ability to print a copy and have in their desk files.

Why ... because they want to touch and feel the paper.

And yes, as Peter K stated the annotated document is now a new document that
must be preserved.  Unfortunately, many of the litigations that I have work
on during discovery usually caused the most pain from annotations.   And a
Halderman annotation on a document certainly requires archival consideration
considering his part in history of the Nixon administration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that records of the executive
branch of government do not come under the normal (depending on how you
interpret normal in government) retention guidelines managed by NARA.

Respectfully,

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting