Sender:
From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:52:02 -0400
Is an annotated document a new record?

It might depend on your organizations policy.  In a previous life I worked
in a municipal government first in a specific department where I, among
other things, prepared dockets and items for action by city boards and
commissions, staffed their meetings as did final dockets and minutes...and
later as the records admin/archivist.

Depending on the size of the board or commission, and size of the staff
attending hearings there could be a handful to dozens of dockets and
associate sets of items prepared and distributed.  Same would got for when
city council met.  However only one unedited preliminary copy would be
entered into the record.  Board, Commission, Council, or staff members
could doodle and annotate to their heart's content.  If they wanted
something entered into the record, they would have to make appropriate
comments or motions, as they would be what was entered into the record
(action) copies of the docket, case documents, or minutes.  If they left
their papers (with or without notes) in chambers after the meetings they
were not retained.  I don't want to imagine what the records would have
looked like (volume-wise)if we had to collect, file, microfilm...the
hundreds, or thousands, more pages that would have generated on a monthly
basis.

Just my thought for this wonderful day.  The Cherry Blossoms in DC are
heading for peak bloom this weekend.  I think I must drive by on my way
downtown this afternoon.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM