Sender:
From:
Gerry van Houten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:26:21 -0400
Let's start with three general principles. Firstly, a classification system
(according to ISO 15489-2) is a hierarchal representation of the
organization's business activities (perhaps supplemented by sequential
representations of business processes). I interpret this to mean that the
legal department is an organization within OMERS whose FUNCTION is to
provide legal services. Secondly, in large legal organizations there are
usually specializations. Thirdly, lawyers typically work using a case
management approach that may involve a range of issues.

The logical question to ask is what activities does this legal function
carry out that can be more or less clearly defined? Activities pension
matters, real estate, litigation, regulatory, etc. The legal department may
make organizational distinctions that reflect these specialized activities
or that, if they don't, assign specific cases to lawyers with specialized
skills in a particular legal area.

If I am correct, the result would be:

primary=legal function, secondary=activities, tertiary=client,
quarternary=subject.

I hope this helps.

Gerry van Houten
Information Policy Adviser