Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 21:14:44 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On 5/3/05, Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It is true you did not say that scanning proves anything, but you did use
> FedEx as an example. All FedEx, UPS et al do is scan your parcel at every
> point.

Agreed that is part of the process. And everyone trusts the process.

> Here is an example of what UPS offer:
I suspect that many of the subscribers to this list have seen such a
list so don't see why we needed to see it.

> I am not sure if they actually scan the parcel as they load it on the
> plane, but at any point they could scan the parcel and then do something
> completely different with it.

BUT THEY DON'T. They have a process that is established and followed.
What would they gain by doing something different? nothing. unless the
employee was dishonest.

> But the point is that they don't. I got this parcel because UPS did not
> lose it. Scanning played its part in the process but it was followed up
> with a commitment to handle the parcel with due care.

Unfortunately you are focusing on one part of the process - scanning.
Scanning I think we can all agree is but one part of the process. no
need to dwell on it.

> Now as for the parcel itself, I did not even check to see if it was
> addressed to me before I opened it.

Trusting sort aren't you.  I tend to check the address first to make
sure it is mine.

> I was expecting a parcel, one came so I opened it.

oh so if I tell you I am sending you a package and one appears on your
doorstep. you will open it because you are expecting or will you
examine the address and return address to confirm that it is the
package you are expecting. That is part of the process.

> Had I have been on vacation and received the wrong parcel someone else
> still would have signed for it, and it would have sat on my desk until I
> returned.

The individual signing for the package in your absence wouldn't know
if it was the wrong package until they examined the address label. Why
would they sign for a package not addressed to you in your absence.
This example doesn't compute. Now I can understand them signing for a
package addressed to you while you are absent. this occurs all the
time.

> My point here is that the process relies in the end on the contents of the
> box, not the box or the address or the barcode of the box.

the process does not rely on the contents it relies on the labeling.

> If the Time/Warner tapes turn up in 2 months time when another customer
> finds them amongst their own tapes, what will IM do?

considering that the BoA tapes and containers did not have any
labeling identifying them as BoA material wouldn't the same have
happened to the Time Warner tapes. So how could another customer know
that they had the wrong tapes. IF scanning is part of the process
wouldn't the scanned number have shown up sooner than two months?

> I can't see them putting out a press release saying "Hey look we found them
> over at our other customer. Everybody stop looking".

I agree

Peter

--
Peter Kurilecz