Sender:
From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 08:23:42 +1000
Catherine

A year or more ago I sent a similar query to the RECMGMT and RMAA
(Australian) listservs. Here is a summary of the results - I've extracted
from a Word table, the headings are first entry, followed by the details
for each organisation.

You have to know what email software they use because policy is often
determined by the funtionality of the software - some can most easily cull
by date, others are better at mailbox size, some can limit user
functionality. Also we found a lot of organisations reluctant to reveal
their policy or practice publicly because of legal liability concerns (ie
if the enemy know how we handle email they'll be more likely to sue
because they'll know what we no longer have).

Hope this helps

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.

---------------------------
Organisation
Users
System
Policy / Limiting Actions/Comments
---------------------------
Aust State Government utility
3,500
Groupwise
Auto delete after 60 days. To Trash for further 7 days, then gone
---------------------------
Aust Federal Dept
2,000
Outlook
Auto delete after 60 days. Warning at each login
---------------------------
Aust Zoo
150 office staff
n/a
Auto delete after 60 days
---------------------------
A US state Dept of Health
1,400
Groupwise
Auto delete after 90 days
---------------------------
Internat. Financial Services Company
1,100 Aust (64,000 worldwide)
Lotus Notes
Weekly automatic deletion of e-mail older than 6 months. Background
process. User responsible for archiving.
---------------------------
NZ Government Dept
1,000
n/a
E-mail 30 mb limit, personal drives 50 mb
---------------------------
Aust Federal Authority
450 inc. offices in all capitals
Exchange
When 50 mb limit reached, no e-mail can be sent
---------------------------
An internat.  development bank
1,500 at head office
n/a
When 100 mb limit reached, no emails can be sent
---------------------------
Aust Insurance company
1,000
Lotus Notes R5
100 mb limit, extendable on management approval at additional charge. IT
offer archiving service to CD ? not local drive
---------------------------
US-based car company
6,000
Lotus Notes
50 mb max, 30 days autodelete for inbox and sent folders. Move to other
Notes folders if need to keep > 30 days, but overall max 50 mb still
applies
---------------------------
HR outsourcing, consulting company
13,000 in 91 countries
Lotus Notes + 3rd party limiting s'ware
At 150 mb can only receive and delete. Archiving disabled, client records
database setup though. Warnings at 10% left and again at 5 mb left
Aust university medical faculty
150
Lotus Notes R6
Report at 600MB. CDs created for staff then e-mail culled to 1 month. R6
archiving user interface is better than R5

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.