Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:19:10 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On 7/29/05, Matthew Rose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The consensus I have heard, for the retention of emails has been between
> 3-5years for regulated employees, 90 days for unregulated employees. Can
> anyone tell me how these timeframes were achieved? Does anyone have a
> regulation, law or rule regarding these timeframes?

 While it's a rather tongue-in-cheek response, I'd say it was by the "Dart
Board Method".
 If an organization isn't willing to do the hard work and classify e-mails
as a record and properly determine the retention period based on the content
of the messages, then they must be willing to be as risk tolerant as their
pocketbooks will let them be. This type of "hipshot retention" can result in
messages being held too long, or not long enough and isn't what we know as
Records Management.
 Larry