Sender:
From:
"Curtis, Donna P (WDP)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:28:37 -0400
All,

Is anyone aware of an easy to follow guide for the "Average Joe" to use to
salvage flooded/contaminated belongings?  Most people that have lost
everything won't be able to afford a professional consultant, so other

My parents, along with 18 close family members have technically lost
everything that they own, but they would like to try saving a few things that
survived "intact", but is currently contaminated with e-coli, mold, mildew,
etc.

My parents are fortunate enough to have a cabin that they have been living
in, so at least they have some belongings.  The biggest issue that they, like
many others face, is that they have not been allowed into their homes yet.
The mold, mildew, e-coli, mud, salt water, etc., will more than likely have
ruined whatever survived the flood.  I would like to give them some
suggestions on how to save a few things, but I am by no means an expert in
this field.  (Example:  how to wash or decontaminate things like dishes,
clothes, film negatives, etc.)

The insurance company told my parents that it may take a month or so before
they have time to evaluate the condition of what is left in their home - I
doubt that anything will be left, but they can hope.  Amazingly enough, the
"structure" is basically standing, but the water level was over the roof.  My
brother took a few pictures inside the house...The dining room table is
hanging from the chandelier, the refrigerator is now on top of the counter
top.  Another shows a 6-foot tall pile of what use to be living room
furniture.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Donna P. Curtis
(865) 241-4155