Sender:
From:
John Frost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:33:01 +0000
Carol,
All of us do appreciate your concern and wish to help.As a Louisiana native with family and friends in the New Orleans area that were affected, I especially am appreciative. It is difficult in times like these to not feel helpless when you want to help your fellow man but on-site support is not an option.
I think we can provide a great deal of help by supporting the Red Cross during this time. You may also try volunteering time with agencies in your area who are supporting the disaster, such as clothing donation centers. They need a lot of help sorting these items before shipment to the disaster area.
In my opinion, ARMA is doing a great deal to help the victims of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. HQ has offered free publications to assist with planning and recovery efforts, and I have heard that they have been working diligently behind the scenes with the Southwest Region to try and locate missing members. We may not be hearing a lot about what ARMA and its chapters are doing to help in this recovery, but be rest assured our members are in action in the true spirit of the ARMA family.
I think the Listserv is also performing a great service.There have been numerous discussions on disaster recovery, whereabouts of RIM professionals, etc.I would like to thank Peter Kurilecz for his RAIN today which included an article about Dr. Chuck Nolan, Archivist of the New Orleans Archdiocese and an ARMA member.A lot of us were very concerned as we had not heard about his status.
I will have to agree with Pat and Larry regarding salvage efforts.I would venture to guess that any records that were submerged for long periods are probably a total loss not just due to the 72-hour recovery time, but also due to the waste and other toxins that were in the water. I would ask the disaster recovery service professionals out there to please correct me if I am wrong.
Given the amount of time records have been submerged and the amount of contamination, I think the use of a volunteer force from ARMA to provide record recovery would now be an unnecessary risk; however, I am sure that the ARMA Board will be discussing this disaster and how they may help with future disasters during their meeting this week. Perhaps Carol you may want to resubmit to the current ARMA Board of Directors whatever papers or plans you submitted in the past so that they may re-evaluate.Given all of the great knowledge transfer that has been going on with this listserv since the disaster, would you mind submitting them here as well?I believe it would be great to share these ideas with the listserv members!
Sincerely,
John P. Frost, CRM
Austin, Texas