Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:51:40 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 9/27/05, Peterson, Elvin Jr. wrote:

> I was a little surprised. Using the rationale that storage costs are so
> low you can afford to keep everything forever doesn't take into account the
> management required for that ever growing amount of storage. Acquisition
> cost is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to storage management.

 On 9/27/05, Broady-Rudd, Sandra wrote:

Did y'all read the compliance mistakes article? Did you not think they were
> completely off-base? In one paragraph they are saying save all e-mail
> forever (see below) and then treat e-mail like hard copy documents (see
> below). Would we ever consider keeping all of our hard copy documents
> forever, whether they are records or not? By treating ALL e-mail as business
> records, isn't this just as bad as treating ALL e-mail as non-records? I was
> surprised this was also the philosophy of one of the vendors we met with
> when choosing our content management system.

  Okay... critical piece of this article to take into account is the
writer's bio....
 "Anthony Sanchez is a technology, Internet and email veteran, having nearly
two decades of experience as a technology marketer. He is currently VP of
Marketing for Waterford Technologies, Inc., an Email Management, Archiving
and Compliance software developer."
 Now, given what he does and what he sells, it's apparent that he has no
concept of RIM policies and practices, but rather the perspective he
approaches the issue from is "save everything, it's easier" which is the
position many tool vendors generally take.
 If all of your problems look like nails, then the best solution is a
hammer, right? =)
 This is exactly what I was getting at in the message I sent last week on
the subject "Proceedings", that it's up to us as RIM Professionals to seek
out these misstated "facts" and provide the RIM perspective that explains
that this isn't a SOLUTION, but rather, it results in an even greater
PROBLEM.
 Larry