Sender:
From:
"Lyons, Sherry A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:50:19 -0500
Active mold in a library is a disaster. It can only get worse and
spread.

Determine what can be replaced. Then set a price for what to save or
toss and repurchase, i.e., any book under $50 that is still in print
should be tossed.

If the issues can be replaced for a reasonable amount, then discard them
immediately. Wrap them in heavy plastic bags on the spot and then put
them in the trash.  If you pick them up and carry them to the trash, you
will be scattering active mold spores along the way.

 Remember that you track mold spores on your shoes as you walk around
the library and what might have been a small problem spreads rapidly.
You spread spores to everything you touch as well. Shelves directly
below / above the affected area are probably already growing mold.

Try to isolate the area ASAP. Block access to the affected area from
patrons and any staff with respiratory problems, pregnancy, or
allergies.

If you MUST keep the journals, wrap them in heavy plastic, take them
outside and place them in strong sunlight for several weeks, moving them
in and out at night, away from rain / moisture and turn them so that
each side gets direct sunlight.  After a month or so, open the bags
outside, wearing a mask and wipe the outside of the journals with a
water/bleach solution that is approximately 50 -50. Most places will say
to use 10% bleach to 90% water, but after going through Tropical Storm
Allison in 2001 or as we call it, the Storm of the Century (for
Houston), I say use a LOT of bleach.

You can see why it is easier to discard and repurchase the journals if
they are still available. It's a lot of work and you will still lost 20
-50% of the collection, especially after this long.

If you would to call and discuss this in more detail, feel free to call
me at 713-500-3101.

Been there and done that and lost the darn t-shirt in the process,

Sherry

Thanks,
Sherry A. Lyons, CRM
Records and Information Management Technology Solutions
Direct: 713-500-3101
FAX:    713-500-3104