Sender:
From:
"Laiche, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:07:16 -0500
Number 1 - you're right, but the remarks were so unrealistic and hurtful
that I had to respond.  Any disaster is just that... A disaster, but our
lives are destroyed enough without having to see that kind of attack on
the RM listserve.

Number 2 - There are plenty of records-related horror storied caused by
Katrina.  There are licensed and certified craftsmen (electricians,
carpenters, plumbers, etc.) that can't get work rebuilding a city that
desparately needs their skills because they lost their vital
records--including their certifications--when their homes and businesses
flooded, and can't prove that they are licensed to do business in the
city.    Thousands of prosecution records on pending court cases were
lost when the basement in which they were kept flooded, and remained
flooded for days.  They are desperately trying to save what they can,
but the flood waters stood for so long and were so full of chemicals, it
will be very difficult.  Individuals and small businesses are going
crazy trying to come up with the documents needed to apply for the
FEMA/SBA loans to get back into business because they didn't practice
good records management and lost most if not all of their business
records. They evacuated their homes and took personal vital records, but
many didn't take their business vital records.

Records-wise, it's a grand mess down here. Thank heavens the new Orleans
Historical Collection personnel are well-versed in records management,
as they save the entire collection (which contains documents that go
back to the 1700's) from destruction. Because my company has a strong RM
program and plan, we didn't have any damaged or lost records. We were
able to relocate immediately to our hot-site near Beaumont, Texas, and
restart operations within hours of relocation. The same applied when we
had to evacuate our Texas site because of Rita - we moved to still a
different site near Baton Rouge and continued to operate.  It was a
struggle over the past few years getting the program completed and ready
for action, but it was worth it.