Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:20:57 -0500
From:
Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
> I'm a health information professional who has managed medical record
> departments in a number of hospitals, and am currently working for a
> vendor storing patient records offsite.
>

> In my experience, the records seldom sometimes - but seldom -
> 'disappear' when a medical practice does.  Usually the bankruptcy court
> controls them, and may place them in storage with a vendor.  Often a
> neighboring hospital may take control of the records, depending on the
> type of practice and relationship with the facility.  Check with the
> state department of health and/or the state medical society -- filing a
> complaint with them can assist.

Records do disappear. Been there done that as the receiving office. Also
how will patients know where the storage place is for bankruptcy. Maybe
legal people know, but the poor patient --they are in the dark. Besides if
the records and the office has disappeared -- how can you complain about
them? I found one doctor's records had been "given to his son" --and no
one knew where he was any more.

Carolyn Trim
Houston