Sender:
From:
"Hill, Gillian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:27:57 -0500
To: "Manz, Cindy ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
I am posting the following message for a colleague who does not subscribe to
the list.  Please respond to her directly.

Thanks.

Topic:   Backup data - stored offsite electronically

Our organization currently makes daily backups as well as a full backup on
weekends of our data onto media tapes and sends them to an offsite location
for storage.  We have been approached by a vendor that proposes to do this
electronically.  This is my understanding of how it works.  The vendor will
take a snapshot of our entire system every two hours-at a minimum- store
that information on a hard-drive that will reside at our location, as well
as mirror that information on a hard-drive at a location somewhere out of
state.  My questions ... Are any of you doing your backups in this manner?
If so, what kinds of problems, if any, have you encountered?  Has it been
cost effective?  And finally, any suggestions as to what kinds of questions
I need to pose to the vendor.

Thanks for your help.

Cindy Manz

Records Administrator

The Miami Conservancy District

Dayton, OH

Gillian Marsham Hill
Records and Information Manager/Archivist
Greene County Records Center and Archives
140 East Main Street, Xenia, OH 45385
Tel: (937) 562-5365
Fax: (937) 562-5367
E-mail: [log in to unmask]