Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:56:28 -0500
Ghyslain, in 2004 in conjunction with a firm move, we went through a project to convert our legal sized files to letter.  The project lasted for approximately 3 months and affected approximately 100,000 files.  The main impetus for us was to make the best use of our new centralized records center (as well as secretarial stations and standard storage boxes - you can fit more letter size material in a box.).

There may be local jurisdictions with particular filing requirements, however none that effected us.  When we designed our space, we planned for 85% letter sized and 15% legal sized.  We have a large Real Estate practice and also do trademark work, both of which often contain non-letter sized material.  We also use some of the legal sized shelving to store excess supplies.  One of the biggest push backs I recall was that attorneys can't fit as much into a letter sized folder.  Why you ask?  Well, the legal sized folders were being over-filled with letter sized paper.  We didn't do an analysis of the cost impact of being able to overfill a legal size folder versus having to create more than one letter size folder for the same amount of material because we knew we would save money in the end by saving expensive square footage in the new building.

I probably should have written memoirs about this portion of the move, but didn't.  However, I might be able to put some specific info together for you such as square-feet savings, etc.  Feel free to contact me off-list.

Strangely, I feel like I have typed this before ... Must have been for a different list ...

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.