Sender:
From:
"Taylor, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:23:55 -0500
We are exploring moving emails from Outlook and into our DM system (and
ultimately into LegalKey as a record).  Our hope is to make it a move,
where the original email is deleted from Outlook and profiled into DM as
a 'document.'  The resultant DMS document is in fact a .MSG file that
opens up in Outlook as an email, complete with attachments, when you
pull it up inside our DMS.
    The method suggested by both our DMS vendor and a third party vendor
with a competing "Outlook to DMS" import utility is that message
attachments are profiled as separate DMS documents, stripped from the
message body and logically linked to the resultant DMS document..  The
email 'body' is identical to the original message but the attachments
(Word docs, spreadsheets, etc.) are replaced with DMS pointers which
link to and open those attachment files.
    Functionally this works.  In our DMS you can find/open/access the
email 'documents.'  You can see the attachments and you can open those
attachments via the links.  Our concern is a legal/Records worry.  We
plan to ultimately declare these documents in our DMS as email
'documents' into LegalKey.  Is the recreated .MSG file, with its
associated attachment pointers and attachment files, a legitimate, legal
version of the record?  Or does the original Outlook message with
embedded attachments have to be preserved and somehow ultimately copied
into LegalKey?

Thanks for your help, Scott

J. Scott Taylor
Records Manager
Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
Promenade II, Suite 3100
1230 Peachtree St., N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia  30309-3592
Phone: (404) 815-3521
Fax:     (404) 685-6821

 IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Confidentiality Notice
This message is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.