Sender:
From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:51:15 -0600
Janet,  A subject near and dear to my heart !!!  We are in the middle of
rolling out a new Lotus Notes message archiving process here at Rockwell
Collins, to 17,000 employee's.  This will be a little different than your
project as we're going to do it in 2 steps: force the employee to
categorize the email and then manage the buckets we have selected  in our
ERM/ECM  solution in FY07.

Here's the major components:

Buckets:
Uncategorized(do nothing)- 90 day retention
Business Value- up to 365 day retention
     This is like granting them an automatic extension but  the retention
period starts from the posted date of the message.  these are for messages
of short term value and work in process.
Company record- Retention dependent on the retention period in the
schedule.
Litigation hold- destruction is suspended until released by the Office of
General Counsel.

We have rolled out the new Lotus Notes Template to the desktop and have
begun training- both live and net meeting

The compliance period is 120 days before we begin to delete email

The employee receives an email on Monday AM of each week telling them the
number of email that are at risk of deletion the following Friday (90 and
365 day)

The employee can then under certain conditions re-categorize the messages
to avoid deletion during the week.

We've started with the employee's sent,in-box and regular folder structure
folders for compliance.  We aren't touching calendar,to do
lists,Journaling,mail-in db's and stationary at this time.  We also have
locked down the local archiving feature of Lotus Notes so that the
employee's can't ADD anything to them but must instead categorize them.
They still have the ability do  most anything they want to do with these
local archives-just not add to them.  We will force clean-up of these
local archives later in the Summer/early Fall

Archiving of Company records and Litigation hold messages occurs nightly.
These messages have the same search functionality as regular Lotus Notes
and can still be read ,printed and forwarded just not deleted or altered.

The Business value messages remain on the live Lotus Notes db and are not
archived.

Messages can be archived from any of the 3 folders described above
(Sent,in-box, and regular folder structure) and we actually encourage the
employee's to use these folder set-ups.  This helps ease the
categorization process.

 Once an email message is archived all the views that it is kept in are
simply links to the full text message stored in the archive db.

We have created alot of Help material on our RIM portal web-site including
FAQ's
Quick Start help guide
Flash demo of the process
Retention schedules
Training schedules
Key definitions
Training presentation
A feedback section for questions, venting,suggestions and to start the new
retention series process.

That's kind of an overview and contact me with more questions.

Steve Petersen CRM
Sr. Records Administrator
Rockwell Collins Inc
319.295.5244