Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:43:56 -0500
<Being taken seriously entails understanding core principles and practices and applying them successfully to the real world to the benefit of our stakeholders. We are fortunate that a growing body of work, such as ISO 15489, provides that core.>

<My own belief is you can have your cake and eat it too: you can contribute to the bottom line, and serve a larger good. That's why RM is so fulfilling as a profession, and how we will ultimately distinguish ourselves from others as a profession.>

I'm right there with you Dwight.  My feeling is (oh no, here she goes sharing her FEELINGS!), the "pragmatic" application of RM principles is not necessarily a bad thing.  There are, of course, core principles of our discipline which should not be brushed aside in favor of the bottom line, however these core principles often CAN be achieved while contributing to overall profitability.  Honestly, that is one of the things that my superiors appreciate in our meetings - that I not only have my eye on 'education, accessibility, transparency and accountability', but I also have a keen eye on the budget.  Compromise isn't a 4 letter word ... Or at least it doesn't have to be.

And still more feelings ... One of the things that I have always struggled with in terms of 'traditional RM' (please don't hate me! ...) is the apparent rigidity, or a seeming inflexibility, which often inhibits the necessary agility to effectively address a dynamic business environment.  Now that we are playing in the boardroom instead of the basement, it REQUIRES a shift in approach/application.  We can't expect that everyone (or should I say, anyone) in the boardroom will appreciate the nobler aspects of our profession to the point of unlimited funding - we have to be ready to appreciate their drivers if we expect them to give a you-know-what about ours.

I'm just thrilled at what is going on in our profession right now and am confident that we will be victorious, as a profession, in appropriately re-defining ourselves to best meet the needs of our stakeholders (and I don't necessarily think it will require new credentials).  There are some brave folks out there trying on new hats, forging the way, taking the risks to help us define our role for the future, and I stand with them and applaud them every step of the way.

Off my soap box now ... Let 'er rip!

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.