Sender:
From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:46:44 -0500
Good morning:

I just wanted to update a couple of things before I head out of town to
do a couple of ARMA things.

First of all, this year at conference in San Antonio, the Annual Meeting
and Candidate Forum do not have anything scheduled against them.  It has
been a priority of the ARMA Board to schedule the meetings at a time
when all members can attend.

Secondly, speaking for myself and not the ARMA Board, I understand the
issue of wanting more people to vote.  Where I find myself in conflict
with some of the suggestions is that I would rather have informed people
vote than have contests where people are just voting to win something.
I would rather members know about the people they are voting for, not
pick names out because they had heard of them or seen them once, or
someone told them to vote for that person.  It may not be popular but
that's the way I feel about it.

So, how do we fix that problem?  We need to get members more involved in
the association so that they care enough to want to vote.  In my mind,
the issue isn't the small percent of members voting, it's the small
percentage of members being active in their association.  Fix that, and
the voting percentage goes up.

I'd love to see more active members in ARMA.  I'll do everything I can
to get urge people to become active, to become interested in what ARMA
is doing.  The Leadership Task Force is bringing some great
recommendations to the ARMA Board in a couple of weeks. There are some
initiatives that will help members make the case to their employers
about the value of ARMA membership and especially the value of being
active in ARMA.  So, stay tuned.  Things are happening.  And I'm excited
about it.

Fondly,
Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
502 Morrill Hall
100 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN  55455