Sender:
From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:30:28 EDT

My own experience is that both knowledge-based and space-based
considerations should be taken into account in building a case for  recordkeeping
solutions; because the former is typically based on soft-savings  benefits, and the
latter is based on hard-savings benefits. Together, they  appeal to different
decision-maker bases in the organization. Also, I find that  when people talk
about space related savings, they usually fail to include some  of the costlier
elements.

A case that also addresses avoidance costs of  facilities-related costs, will
include such costs as those of  paper storage (opportunity cost of space),
storage equipment purchase (file  cabinets, bookshelves, 3-ring binders, file
folders), equipment  repair, maintenance and replacement (including the often
large costs  associated with the associated procurement processes), etc.
Needless to  say, alternative digital systems are not cost free.

People costs related to finding information are usually much higher  (which
operational people are usually very happy to testify to when responding  to
work behavior surveys). And, of course, knowledge-based justifications  appeal
very much to executives who struggle themselves with information  gathering
tasks, and who see these as very much linked to business aims and  processes,
which they are. Demonstrating savings however can be elusive. The  facility costs
are hard and can make the facility manager an instant advocate of  electronic
records systems. A big problem with any such calculations is that the  central
budget people typically want to be able to capture the financial  benefits
declared in any CBA. Where the savings are hard (such as facilities  expenses)
budget offices like them, because they can take them out of the hide  of the
facilities budget when the organization OKs the new IT system  budget. But when
it is related to the productivity of operational people, they  want to say:
OK, lets take 1.235 positions away for every 20 positions an  operating unit
has. When this message comes back down to the  operators, their managers often
say: Whoa! I don't believe that this  system is going to be that productive,
despite what the staff say.

Following Bill Roach's point, there may be special times where space is  much
more of an issue. One client was building a new building and wanted to
change to open space offices and reduce office sizes in the process, but was  very
worried about all the paper in the old closed offices, corridors, etc., and
where it would go in the new construction. By taking a combination approach for
 both paper (high-density storage) and electronic records (enterprise content
 management solution), it was possible to meet their needs and improve
information/records access and security, even though the staff didn't appreciate
the downsized office spaces.

I think some combination of justifications makes the best  approach,
depending on the particular solution being presented.

Regards,

Rick  Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com/)
Cofounder, Open  Reader Consortium
_www.openreader.org_ (http://www.openreader.org/)

In a message dated 4/12/2006 12:02:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,