Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:51:31 -0400
From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Jim and all,

I checked the ISO web store and the numbers and titles are the same except
for the year:

ISO 23081-1: 2006 Information and documentation - Records management
processes - Metadata for records -- Part 1: Principles

ISO 23081-1:2004 Information and documentation - Records management
processes - Metadata for records--Part 1: Principles

The ARMA SDC has been working on a metadata white paper, and we have used
the 2004 version as a reference. I will be reviewing the 2006 version (which
replaces the 2004 version) within the next week. From what I can tell, this
is a replacement and not a "different beast." I will provide more details
once I make a detailed comparison.

In addition, John mentioned AIIM/ARMA/ANSI TR48-2004, Framework for the
Integration of Electronic Document Management Systems and Electronic Records
Management Systems. It does include information on metadata related to
electronic document management systems and electronic records management
systems (EDMS/ERMS).  The committee's work during the last 2 years was to
update the metadata section, and it is just about complete.

Since the work of the C30 committee on EDMS/ERMS (TR48) is almost done, the
members were invited to participate in work on the metadata issue for AIIM.
Because Tim Sprehe, the chair of C30, will not be available during the AIIM
Conference in Phila, I have been asked to facilitate the next meeting of the
group. It will be held during the AIIM Conference on Tuesday, May 16, 2006,
at 9 a.m. in Room 105A.  Two topics for discussion are: TR48 and metadata.
If you're interested in attending this meeting, please let me know.

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM
AIIM C30 Committee Member
ARMA Standards Development Committee Member