Sender:
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:45:38 +0800
From:
John O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Greetings, Jim.

Nice to see a familiar name (among others) as it has been a very long time
since I was able to make public posts due to contractual limitations.

Dublin Core is really the base, in my view.  But ultimately, building a meta
data standard comes back to purpose.  That may require a thorough analysis
internally to focus on the kind of information that is necessary to build a
system (IT or otherwise) that achieves the desired outcome.  Accountability
is one thing, enabling learning communities is another, controlling
retention and disposition is yet another.  In my experience, it may take a
combination of several metadata sets to achieve what is the goal—and the
hardest part is not defining the metadata, its deciding what is
needed/wanted.   And, the specific meta data requirements will differ
depending on the structure of the taxonomy that underpins the ERMS (unusual
to have only one taxonomy in an enterprise-wide initiative). Re ERMS
standards, the latest tried and true DOD 5015 taken with the MoReq European
Union standard drive system development these days.  Also, while some
vendors imply that they ISO 15489 “compliant”, take note that the ISO
standard is not about the technical system—it’s about the RM program. Apples
and oranges (or at least, apples and cider ;-)  Even for essentially US
based companies, I recommend using the international standards to avoid
discovering—later—that some work needs retrofitting or redoing because some
aspect of some unforeseen process is subject to an international constraint.
These days, that could be on the funding side.  SOX has complements in Basel
II and MiFid.  In all, the key is accountability.

Some interesting posts – looking forward to being part of the fray once
again.  See you ‘round!

Cheers,

John

HYPERLINK "http://www.irmstrategies.com" \n

HYPERLINK "http://www.irmstrategies.com" \nIRM STRATEGIES BUILDS THE
CAPACITY OF BUSINESS - KNOWLEDGE RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT
Partner & Principal Consultant

Hong Kong

HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]" \[log in to unmask]
HYPERLINK "http://www.irmstrategies.com" \nhttp://www.irmstrategies.com

mobile:
Skype ID:

+011 852 6192 1086