Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 12:17:44 -0700
From:
Erin OMeara <[log in to unmask]>
I agree. This needs to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If there is something that needs to be retained permanently, I would suggest filming that series of records that are scanned and then you can destroy paper.

Here in Oregon, if the document originated in paper and has a retention period of 100 years or greater (aka permanent), then we (state agencies) are required to have a paper or microfilm copy held as the "record copy".

Documenting these decisions and how they fit into the imaging or EDRMS workflow are also very important to the process.

Just my two cents,

Erin O'Meara
University Records Manager
University of Oregon

Paula Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Is there a document that outlines the regulations more fully?

Each federal or state agency we deal with seems to have different
specifications related to keeping material related to grant fund
expenditure and research related requirements.

There are provisions dependent on the type of funding and the type of
research program involving education and health research related
activities.

Non-federally funded grants rarely include a specification for the mode
of media chosen for retention and have accepted electronically certified
images as "official."

I have to agree with Bruce in the context of contracts and agreements.
Our campus and general counsel would only advise to keep the original
signed documentation as the official document and every scanned image as
a "working copy."

Boy, 2 emails in a week.

Paula

Paula J. Johnson