Sender:
From:
"A.Khramtsovsky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:31:10 +0300
Dear Deborah,

> Yes I heard of the punch cards but thought we couldnt read them because
> the hardware can not be found?  Is this true.  Deborah <

Some organizations (including NARA) still have functional card readers. And
you can read the card "manually" if necessary, the encodings can be found in
reference books :)

> But, if the magnetic tape is not fully readable and in some sort of format
> that can be read, do you believe the information can be retrieved and
> undestood, adding the fact that the program is probably not functional as
> well. <

I'd say it would be costly. With proper funding and commitment we humans can
do amazing things including reading obsolete magnetic tapes. See an example
here:
http://www.freegovinfo.info/node/118

Regards,
Natasha