Sender:
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:54:46 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Chris,

I disagree for a couple of reasons. First, some organizations assume that
backup = records management, or that backup tapes for email systems can
serve in lieu of effective email management. That's a real bad way of
thinking in my opinion, but it certainly exists.

Second, many IT organizations don't manage their backup tapes all that well
- think Morgan Stanley. They are the most spotlit case at the moment but by
no means the only organization with tapes strewn throughout the organization
and with little idea of what's on them.

Third, I agree that it's difficult to establish record integrity on backup
tapes - but note that during discovery, if it's responsive, it may not
matter. The new changes to the FRCP may help somewhat here - but they may
not. And it's too late to get rid of the tapes once the subpoena arrives.

Finally, in some organizations, EVERYTHING is owned by RM. I don't agree
with that position myself - but I've had several discussions during my AIIM
ERM Master Classes where records managers have asserted absolute ownership
of all information in the organization. If that is to be the case, I'd
rather err on the side of RM setting the retention and disposition of backup
tapes - and setting those periods quite short! - rather than them being
forgotten in offsite storage, or in a datacenter closet somewhere, and
having a subpoena hit. And then having to pay someone to restore them,
de-dupe, etc. etc. etc.

Now, I've seen organizations do it both ways quite successfully. The ones
that are the most successful in my opinion also have the discussions between
RM and IT - and legal, and the business leadership - so that everyone is on
the same sheet of music. If IT ends up owning the backup tapes (and other
media!), so be it. If RM does it, fine by me too. As long as *someone* has
responsibility for managing the integrity of the backup process, including
cycling and disposing of backup media, and holding off on cycling and
disposition in the event of a legal hold, I'm cool.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
YIM: jessewilkins8511
SL: Jesse8511 Market
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.