Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:33:24 -0800
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
A person aspiring to be a CRM has to prove a MINimum of 3 years of
fairly broad PROfessional RIM experience, as well as a bachelor's
degree, to be accepted as a candidate. (*) From applying to the date of
acceptance as a candidate usually takes 1 - 2 months at minimuim;
applying, taking, and passing Parts I - V at the next sitting 3 to 9
months later, then applying, taking, and passing part VI 6 months after
that...; and then grading and notifications a few months after that...;
I submit there are no CRMs with less than 5 years of broad professional
RIM experience.  Most CRMs I know were in the profession 10 or more
years before achieving the CRM.

You may forward this to your friend if you wish Mimi...; I
guaran-Dadgummed-tee there are absolutely no CRMs with "just 2--3 years"
experience.

I was in the profession for 7 years before applying to the ICRM.  I was
given a big raise after receiving my certification.  Six years later I
went out on the job market...; my current job "required" CRM
certification.  However, the biggest benefit for me was the additional
knowledge I gained during the studying and testing processes.  It
surprised me of how much more about the profession there was to learn.
Down home language...; I did not know how much I did not know; and I was
pretty damn good before starting the CRM journey.

From a RIM professional who is glad he took the plunge and began the
journey of professional development that constitutes the process of
becoming a CRM...; have a good weekend!

 (*)  The ICRM Certification Standards Committee, at its discretion,
accept two years of additional experience as a substitute for one year
of education. Experience is calculated to the application due date.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/9/2007 12:25 PM >>>
To CRM or not to CRM...this is a topic on which I am very torn.

  I have the designation and I am proud to be included in their ranks.
It took a while to get the darned thing, after all, and it was hard work
for me to fit that study time in the midst of all of my commitments.

  As a rule, I don't include all of my designations on my signature
line that belong after my name--on the excellent advice of a friend, I
keep that for my resume only--but I am a firm believer in certificates
and certifications.

  I especially believe they are advantageous when interviewing for that
next position on the corporate food chain!  However, some (most?)
potential employers don't understand properly all that is involved in
the creation of or maintenance of a records program.  Some (most?)
respect the certification process though and that translates easily
enough.  There's your threshold to begin talking about the major
components of a RIM program...and away you go through the interview
process.

  I respect those professionals who have it and those who don't.  I
felt more comfortable knowing my boss has a CRM, because that meant I
could call upon her throughout the application and testing process and I
feel more comfortable in my knowledge knowing I have a CRM now, but it
doesn't mean that records competencies are exclusive to CRMs.
  There are very few people on this RIMserv that I wouldn't listen to
for advice...regardless of whether they're a CRM or no.  It's like
attending an ARMA presentation--maybe I only glean one or two details
that will help me in my job, but it's worth it.  :-)

  In the immortal words of a friend of mine who I GREATLY respect: you
can tell when someone has done the work.  Does a CRM designation make
the records professional?  Not necessarily.  To qualify to sit, you have
to prove competencies in at least four areas of RIMgmt...it's not a case
of signing up to give a talk on which you know nothing, learning all you
can from books/online resources/listservs about the topic, giving a
speech on it, and then claiming competency.  Those in the audience who
have really done the work will know you haven't lifted the lid off the
box or designed reports to cull information from your EDMS that will
support your project's critical success factors...and CRMs are usually a
small percentage of the audience.

  A friend of mine called me recently.  She asked for names that she
could recommend to a local recruiter for a STAGGERINGLY WELL PAID
position.  I blush to think of the amount.  My friend clarified that the
position description included, "CRM is preferable, but with ten to
fifteen years of experience." She said, "Don't give me names of any CRM
who has just 2--3 years. The company was extremely clear that they are
not impressed with so few years of experience as a CRM and they would
not entertain the idea of interviewing that person.  A CRM with 2--3
years of experence means they passed a test, nothing more."

  So, as the saying goes, put that in your pipe and smoke it--I know I
definitely wouldn't qualify, but I'm working towards it...

  Bottom line: I leave it up to your personal choice.  Mine was to take
a chance on applying.

Mimi Dionne, CRM
Records Manager
Cheniere Energy, Inc.