Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:41:51 -0800
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I have advised somewhat similar over the years to those I mentored, and
others to whom I gave advice.  My advice is to prepare diligently.  Then
apply and continue to study and prepare; then take all first five exams
that first exam cycle.  If the candidate passes all; fantastic and then
she/he can apply for part VI.  If the candidate does not pass all,
he/she will probably pass a couple and will then know which specific
parts for which to focus study efforts.

I submit that from the time of applying to the ICRM, being accepted as
a candidate, and until the exams are given are valuable months that
could/should be used for studying and preparing.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/12/2007 10:22 AM >>>
>>I wrote a project plan to help that person apply, prepare, and
successfully test for the CRM exams.<<

The plan makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand, my mentor for the
CRM
exam was Dr. Langemo.  His recommendation was to start the process by
taking Parts 1-5, no prep, just take the test.  After you get the
results, target your studies at those portions of the test that you
did
not pass.  Approaching the exam this way lets you focus on those areas
where you need additional training and acknowledges those areas where
you are already well versed.

Bill Roach,  CRM
Manager, Corporate Records
MoneyGram International