Sender:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:00:30 -0600
From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
>>However, I believe the efficiencies are in the workflow capability and
not simply scanning documents to make them available to several folks at
the same time. <<

Here is a simple example of simple scanning providing efficiencies that
have nothing to do with workflow.  Several dozen folks need to access
and review a standard publication that accompanies a project.  In the
past, the publication was printed and distributed.  The printed copies
were dutifully filed by the individuals in their filing systems for
later reference.  Cost to the organization: duplication, distribution,
filing space, and filing time by a couple of dozen engineers.

Alternative, store an electronic version in a central repository and let
them access it from there.

Let's say that we originally distributed 30 copies.  Even if we spend 15
times as much as we would have spent on a single copy to file an
electronic copy, we have cut our costs by 50 percent.  Not a bad return
on investment.

Need other examples.  How about customer service applications.
Organizational access to policies, procedures or general information.

As I said earlier, workflow is important, but it is a long way from
being the most important component of an ECM system.  From my
perspective, all of the other pieces (CM, eForms, Forms Processing,
Imaging) should be in place before a truly automated business process
can be implemented.

Bill R