Sender:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:33:26 -0600
From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Is that what a study showed...where all the variables were carefully
calculated and compared?<<

The example I used was fictitious.  However, the ROI for the actual
reports and several other instances were done.  Savings were
significant.  And yes, folks printed the reports from time to time, but
even that was a savings.  Prior to the electronic copy, the books were
bound and had to be taken apart, copied on a colored copier (limited
access) and rebound.  Now when they need a copy for a consultant or the
field they simply print it on the nearest laser printer.

From a previous posts:
>>I do think though that you are right on in your last statement and
make the overall point I was trying to get across.  That is, in most
applications the very reason that imaging is being done...along with all
the other stuff...is to support a workflow system...and the latter is
the focus of "the system" with the other software capabilities,
including imaging, being supporting capabilities to that focus.<<

I really think you missed my point.  The justification for nearly every
implementation I have put in place has been access to active records.
Workflow is not even initially considered in the justification.  Actual
return on investment can be significant.

In many of these instances, workflow will only be implemented as part of
the replacement of the underlying business application.  Until then,
access to content is the driving justification for the technology.

>>But isn't that "inactive" records?  I'm talking about in daily
business processes.<<

These were active records.  They were being microfilmed and jacketed
because the volume was so great that they would no longer fit in the
office.  The folks would then retrieve the individual jackets to do
their work.

Bill R