Sender:
From:
"Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:52:19 -0400
Hi: First I would note that PDF and/or PDF/A is not just an "image"
standard; it can whole support full text within the file.

>A little background.  Pdf/a is a standard for formatting images for
>future use.

First, what are your State rules/regs for document conversion?

Personally for short term records I would probably go with a
PDF.  Its format is more ubiquitous and understandable to the layman
and when asked for copies, a TIFF would likely be converted to PDF
for delivery anyhow.  I should note that web browser now render TIFF
images, however I still think one would need a TIFF  reader for
something that is multi-page.

You should also be considering what it is that is being scanned: are
they records an agency receives and/or are they records
generated/created by the agency?  I have always found it a bit of an
absurdity with documents we create digitally, that we print them out
and scan them to make them digitally available, with a much larger
file size.  Granted there is not much we can do with the incoming
records, but certainly anything we are creating we should be looking
at paperless solutions.  The fact one has FileNet is certainly a step
in the right direction.  Instead of printing to a printer, print to
PDF (if you do not have this capability certainly look into it) and
make the document available via FileNet.

PDFs like TIFFs can be secured so they cannot be changed. One caveat
with printed/distilled PDFs is that the text is completely available
for searching within the PDF, therefore if one has something to
redact an image-only version of the PDF may be the more practical.

But back to the initial question about use with short term retention,
I have always argued that in the short term one should not have
proprietary/migratory issues with the format.  If these were long
term records I would recommend PDF/A (and one might consider that
regardless), but a retention of 5 years or less doesn't really
require that type of preservation concern.  Once again check with
what your State requires for the conversion of public records.

Thanks -- Dan Noonan

Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+
Electronic Records Manager/Archivist
University Archives
The Ohio State University
600 Ackerman Road, Room 5822
Columbus, OH 43202
614.247.2425
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
http://library.osu.edu/sites/archives/