Sender:
From:
"Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:47:13 -0400
Basic definition of a public record in NJ (and in most states some
similar variation):

"Government record" or "record" means any paper, written or printed
book, document, drawing, map, plan, photograph, microfilm, data
processed or image processed document, information stored or
maintained electronically or by sound-recording or in a similar
device, or any copy thereof, that has been made, maintained or kept
on file in the course of his or its official business by any officer,
commission, agency or authority of the State or of any political
subdivision thereof, including subordinate boards thereof, or that
has been received in the course of his or its official business by
any such officer, commission, agency, or authority of the State or of
any political subdivision thereof, [emphasis added] including
subordinate boards thereof. The terms shall not include inter-agency
or intra-agency advisory, consultative, or deliberative material.
http://www.nj.gov/grc/act.html#definitions

So the it becomes not a matter of if it is, but how long do we retain it.

Nishka you may want to contact John Chepega
http://njarchives.org/links/staff.html#micro there Specialized
Document Imaging Unit Systems Administrator.

Thanks -- Dan
At 3/27/2007 12:27 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
>but aren't  these transcripts supplied by the individual and not
>created by the community college. I suspect these are high school
>transcipts. I agree that the organization should be coordinating with
>the state.
>
>On 3/27/07, Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Hi Peter, et al: I used to run the certification program for the
> > State of New Jersey.  New Jersey Public Law 1994, Chapter 140
> > requires the certification of image processing systems used for the
> > conversion of public records.  Transcripts of a community college are
> > public records.
> >

>--
>Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
>Richmond, Va

Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+
Electronic Records Manager/Archivist
University Archives
The Ohio State University
600 Ackerman Road, Room 5822
Columbus, OH 43202
614.247.2425
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
http://library.osu.edu/sites/archives/