Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:59:47 -0600
well, the Good Lord knows I don't live in in New Jersey and there is a whole
worls of things I don't know, and since I didn't make the list of folks that
can advise on retention schedules I should probably not comment, but being
me I guess I will. If a school in New Jersey chooses to image their own
trainscipts, thot originate at their oinstitution they mus tcomply with any
and all state and federal laws. they should also try to capture the image at
the highest possible resolution (in the dark days Archivists required
1200dpi). When I captured the transcripts at the University of Idaho, I
scanned at 600dpi. I also had a poilicyin place that no archival record with
intrinsic value could be detroyed. Disposal of archival record having
intrinsic value consisted of storage, conservation and preservation in a
vault. If i am going to fast or confusing you let me know (see Hugh to find
out vault requirements and protocols) (check the SAA manual series for
preseservation and conservation advice). when a student applies to an
istitution they provide an application that askes amont other things if they
have graduated from another institution, maybe their grade point average,
degree attained, etc., then they have provided for them a COPY of their
official transcript to verify what they stated on their application. So far
nothing is signed. The application, transcripts, and any other documets are
reviewed. A decision is made to either accept or deny the applicant. Once
they student arrives on campus, registers, signs all the appropriate
records, and attends the first day of class the the applicant becomes an
official student. This is usually called tenth day. At that point all the
application materails become elligle for disposal. I know htat souinds
outrageous, and I am sure their is a fine philisohical reason for retaining
records that don't belong to the school and contain no sgnature that you can
hold a person accountable for, then that is just the way I am. that I record
is imaged does not alter the value of a record. It might increase the cost
of the process but that is about it. we can play more if you like. we can
chat about the four values of for determining retention or contet content
and strucure or any number of other things, but that might be reckless of
me.

what kind of soap do you sell?

Chris Flynn