Sender:
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:45:42 -0700
Comments:
RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.
I had responded to Jesse's message, but unfortunately I sent it directly to
Jesse, not the list.

I have added my responses to Jesse's below his.

Robert W. Dalton, CRM

Dalton Consulting

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. How do you print 607 million emails, many of which have attachments, many

of those which do not lend themselves to printing (video, audio, database)?

Even the 5% figure I quoted in the other email leaves 30 million.

Response:  You don't print out the 607 million emails.  You delete
non-records and retain business records in electronic and/or paper format
until such time as a system and/or technology becomes available that can
manage emails.  You manage the same as paper records.

2. How do you find enough RM people to declare stuff into an

EDMS/ERMS/EDRMS?

Response: You don't find RM people to declare stuff into an EDMS/ERMS/EDRMS.
It should be the individual's responsibility to insure records are retained.

This requires education and continuing training to insure everyone is aware
of their responsibilities.  Same as paper records.

3. How do you get users to do this 100+ times a day? You cannot force it and

you cannot fire 23,000 employees.

Response:  Again, users do this 100+ times a day for paper documents so they
should be able to do it for the electronic records received via email.

Given all that, I say email archival is a *bit* better than doing nothing

which is what almost all organizations are doing now. We can full-text

search to find stuff that is important at the time it is required to be

produced. I don't believe this is a good solution long-term, but I'm talking

about this year.

jesse