Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:19:54 -0700
More and more of our vendors are providing reports via CD ... bank
statements and payroll reports come immediately to mind. Right now the
CD's are primarily stored in binders or file drawers. I have suggested
that our IT folks upload the CD's primarily so that they are backed up
and secondarily for usage.

One of the attorneys wondered if that was necessary. He thought that we
could just find out how long the vendor kept the data themselves and
rely on that for the backup or have them send us duplicate copies of the
CD which could then be sent to our offsite storage vendor. His primary
concern of uploading seemed to be that it may make the data less secure.

My knee jerk reaction was that it would be no less secure than anything
else on our network and perhaps more secure than the notebook holding
the CDs in the desk drawer or file cabinet, that sending copies of CDs
to "storage" would not be good for the CDs unless we used
environmentally controlled storage (these records have a 10 year
retention -- not very long, but long enough, in my mind, to be aware of
degradation), and that it would be inefficient to manage since only one
or two CDs would be eligible for destruction each year. My second
reaction was that to rely on a vendor to provide backups is not a great
idea -- what is the vendor's responsibility ($1.00 per box?), what is
our exposure if it's lost, etc.

What are other folks doing with records provided on CDs. BTW, we do not
have an EDMS in place.

Nolene

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes
| 949-450-8583 | FAX 949-789-3379 | [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>