Sender:
From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:03:50 -0500
Nolene,

The first thing I would do is check your contracts with these vendors and
see if this type of recordkeeping is OK per the contract.  We're going
through this with our charitable contribution 3rd party vendor who wanted
to keep everything 2 years and then return it to us on a CD.  Trouble is
that they were dumping  records with different retention periods on the
same CD.

Then decide those responsible for keeping the records, for what period of
time and if it's not spelled out in the contract work with them on an
acceptable process.  This may or may not include them just sending the
information to you on a CD.  History tells me that nobody but you will
care either way and you will need to force the parties together to create
a process BOTH companies can live with.  If they tell you that's the way
its going to get done you  have the ability to find a new vendor that will
work with you or accept the risk.  Either way I'd get the solution in
writing in case of future problems.

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc