Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:20:08 -0400
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
This is a very serious question for anyone buying ERM or Physical RM
software these days, due to software industry consolidations. With the
Stellent vs Oracle issue (based on my discussions with clients and vendors
in the last two weeks) you can probably expect the Oracle 10g based ERM
components to get morphed into and integrated with the Stellent URM
components - over the next year. The Stellent URM component's strengths in
physical records management and has general capabilities in ERM. It is DoD
5015.2 certified and does some Federated searching of distributed
repositories. However, Stellent URM is still to some extent a derivative of
the extempore RM product that Optika bought from Select Technologies before
Optika was bought by Stellent. But Oracle will probably also preserve and
build on the integration connectors for ERM that already exist between the
Oracle 10g ERM capabilities and any Oracle databases for "structured" data.
Get it?

This is a confusing area for anyone. Unfortunately, I also see this same
"morphing" trend with the other software vendors that you cited. When trying
to understand where a software vendor will be developing their Physical RM
and ERM components over time, you need to 1) ask the vendor what their ERM
strategy is, and then 2) try to see how the ERM capabilities fit within
their overall ECM/workflow/e-mail archiving suite of products. Did they buy
the ERM capabilities primarily to gain market share to sell their other
products? Are they going to support some ERM components and let others die
out slowly with lack of support? These are critical questions that can
prevent organizations from costly implementations of ERM capabilities that
are already scheduled for technological obsolescence.

I am on travel in Washington DC this week, so responses to this discussion
thread may be sporadic.

John

John T. Phillips

BS, MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI