Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:31:46 -0600
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Robert,

I am not aware of any specific state/federal laws regarding retention of
this, though of course there may be some. But I'd definitely consider them
to be a record with business value. How long to keep them? Off the cuff,
depends on the particular log. For example, for system configuration logs,
I'd think a fairly short period of time would suffice - say, 1-2 years. Much
longer than that and the system will be approaching replacement. Another
option would be to keep the config log until the system is replaced or
migrated to newer hardware or significant software upgrade, e.g. FileNet
Panagon to FileNet P8. For other logs, such as audit trails from
records/document repositories, I'd keep them longer, up to as long as the
longest non-permanent retention period on the log.

A related challenge is that many systems will not ingest logs and audit
trails - that is, if you have an old log for a certain firewall product, the
new product will most likely not be able to prepend that audit trail into
its current one. So here you'd need to declare the log as a record itself
and put it under retention. Not the best option in my opinion but the only
realistic one today (assuming you want/need to save it in the first place,
which is the premise).

Cheers,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, edp, LIT, ICP, ermm, ecmm