Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:31:46 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>

> This is a situation that begs to be rectified, and looks like much more
> work is needed from both ARMA and ICRM to continue to educate organizations
> and agencies.

I have mixed emotions about this, in part, it's a case of  "Whatsoever a man
soweth, that shall he also reap"  (*Galatians VI, King James Version)

*And on a more personal level, I'd suggest people concerned about what needs
to be done to rectify the situation, I will paraphrase something that a
great American once said...My fellow Records Managers, ask not what your
Associations can do for you: Ask what you can do for your Profession... and
maybe more to the point, yourSELF.

For a long time, I used to have the attitude that this was something someone
else had to do, that if "they" did this, everyone else would know who "we"
are, what we should be earning, and what it is "we" do, so companies
wouldn't make these seemingly reprehensible salary offerings.

And to an extent, more DOES need to be done to "market the profession" and
the value and benefits of ensuring qualified individuals with appropriate
knowledge and skills are considered for positions in the field of Records
and Information Management, but who is best qualified to do that?  A
professional association, staffed primarily by individuals whose primary
skills are related to managing the business of an association (ARMA) or an
organization staffed by volunteers (ICRM)?   Both of these organizations
have very qualified individuals at the ready to do what it is they are
charged with, but I don't think either of them is responsible for running
the flag up the pole and shouting "Come see how qualified the people are
that associate them selves with us".

When you see articles that misrepresent what a records and information
management professional is supposed to do, do you expect someone else to
tell the writer, or do you contact them?  I know what I do.

When you see a document, law, or regulation put out for public comment on
the subjects of either records or information management, do you wait for
someone else to give your input? I know what I do.

So, when you see a job posting that offers a seemingly insulting salary that
is expecting applicants with a bushel basket of experience, education, and
certifications, what should you do?  My answers would be:

1) Don't apply for it, and hopefully, neither will others who meet the
qualifications
2) Contact the hiring company and tell them there is obviously a
misunderstanding of what they want for what they're offering
3) Or simply ignore it, and they'll find out that individuals with the
qualifications they are asking for won't apply

We RIMs need help in this area, without a doubt... but we need to help
ourselves.

Larry

 --
Larry Medina