Sender:
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 19:34:56 -0400
From:
Deborah I Gouin <[log in to unmask]>
To: Jason Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Jason,
I am the Electronic Records Archivist at Michigan State University.  While
we are not a "small private college", I think some of our practices would be
helpful to you.

First, we have record retention schedules for all departments, and they
primarily address paper records, but it is our policy that retention is
based on content not format, so while paper is addressed, we believe that
the retention set for any particular type of record would address the
electronic or paper version.

Our retention schedules are published on our website; www.archives.msu.edu

We are taking an active approach to our electronic records with the creation
of the Electronic Records Archivist position.  We aim to incorporate
electronic records keeping technology when new software is implemented at
the university.

Although we are not private, I think that we share many of the same issues
when managing university records.  Also we have one archivist who's main
responsibility is records management.

Feel free to contact me off the list if you would like to discuss the issues
further.

Deborah I. Gouin, MA, CA
Electronic Records Archivist
University Archives and Historical Collections
Michigan State University
517-355-2330