Sender:
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:54:12 -0500
From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Peter K. made a very good point.

Members of the Clinton Admin were roundly criticized (Al Gore included)
for the perception that they used government property (phones and
computers) for political purposes (fund raising).

It may be a bit of a challenging "thing" to determine whether a
particular official or advisor is actually acting in conjunction with
his or her official, government duties, or whether they might be acting
in line with their political duties (and many White House, Senate and
Congressional staff members do have dual responsibilities)......  In
order to ensure that you were doing the right thing, using the right
email system for the right purpose, would you then have to have an
attorney standing over your shoulder advising you?  If you did, would
THAT attorney then be subject to subpoena, investigation, etc.?

Perhaps its an oddity of our current environment, but I would hope that
we would not create more "catch 22" situations than we may already have
for those in political office.

Doug Allen, CRM, CDIA+
(with no attorney advising me whether to submit from my personal email
address(es), or work email address)