Sender:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:43:59 -0500
From:
Deborah Gouin <[log in to unmask]>
While email has all of the inherent complexities mentioned below, that does
create unique challenges to the management of it, I must agree with Steve
and Larry, that how we manage email, meaning the length of time to retain,
and the disposition there after (delete or preserve for historical
purposes), must be driven by the content of the email, not the medium in
which the information was created, delivered or stored in.

We cannot set retention and disposition by medium type.  We must look at the
content and determine our R&D policy.  If we don't we will be losing
valuable information that we may be required to keep permanently, or loose
our collective corporate memory by deleting all email after 30, 60 or 90
days, like so many corporations are still doing.

To overcome some of the inherent problems with managing email, firm
corporate polices and procedures need to be developed on the proper use of
email.  Users have to be trained on how to create subject Meta data and how
to recognize when a thread has ended, so a new topic with appropriate
subject Meta data will be started.  You can't look for a magic solution from
vendors, if the end user isn't savvy enough to use email correctly.  End
users must be trained to use email more judiciously; without end user
compliance the best solution will fail.

Deborah I. Gouin, MA, CA
Electronic Records Archivist
University Archives and Historical Collections
Michigan State University
101 Conrad Hall
E. Lansing, MI 48824-1327
(517) 355-2330  voice