Sender:
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 06:47:09 -0700
From:
Kathleen Fortenberry <[log in to unmask]>
In a previous life as City Clerk, we began keeping our minutes in archive folders versus the big leather bound books to save money (it was definitely a BIG budget time for us) and as far as I know, they continue the practice.  That change made a big difference to that storage issues.

  As to binders, we we performed a time study to see if changing the contents of the binders to expanded pocket folders was cost effective (time versus cost of supplies) and then figured in the cost differences between the storage of boxes with binders versus the boxes with the folders, it was amazing (I do not have those numbers anymore) but we convinced the majority of the offices to change their internal processes.  For those offices that insisted on binders, we insisted on taking the boxes with binders.  (There really weren't very many once we got the word out why we were going to refuse boxes with binders - made sure upper management understood the cost effectiveness of our decision first.)

  Hope this helps.

Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  OK here's a simple question for a Friday evening.

We have certain records series where people like to store the docs for
easy reference in 3-ring binders (usually 3" and above). Once they are
done with them, they want to just put them in a storage box. I hate
binders in storage boxes, they don't fit on edge, so you have to lay
them down .. then they just waste space because you can only fit a
couple in the box. I have suggested that people transfer the contents of
the binder into an expanding pocket folder for storage and to re-use the
binder -- but they are afraid the papers will get out of order so they
don't, or transferring the contents to pressboard report covers, but
they don't because probably they're just lazy. So I've been looking at
alternatives, such as getting some boxes specifically sized for binders
or finding binders that will actually fit in a standard sized box. But
the only box I found is a fast-fold type and I'm not crazy about those
either (I think they are not as strong) and I haven't found a binder
that will fit in a box. Or I can just be a &*^#@ and insist they remove
the papers to something better. What are others doing with binders?

Part two of this is what about those leather-bound minute book binders.
They fit in the box, but dang, they get heavy. What are folks doing with
those?

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes