Sender:
From:
"John J. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:15:55 -0400
Always appreciate the work of the InterPARES project(s) - I think it is less
well known that it should be.  Wish I could stop by the booth, Randy, but
committed here.

Jesse, however true it may be that "electronic" and "records" may be
comprehensible in RIM terms to RMmgrs, I might dispute whether that is
universal and note that the InterPARES set of related definitions are a good
illustration of why even within the RIM domain there mare many who will not
be well versed in the complex array of factors that mst be managed for
authentic e-records.  It would be great if ARMA projects could also take
into account the needs of non-RMgrs in development glossaries, etc.  I have
had the unfortunate experience of a senior exec dismissing as irrelevant and
"obviously" out of date a document that did not employ "common" terms like
"electronic records".

Glossaries and such serve an important communication tool, quite beyond
there most direct use. The challenge, I think, is to produce documentation
that both serves the needs of practitioners and, wherever possible, helps
them in translating the domain as something relevant to people not working
in it.

There is some good stuff out there, but always room for improvement, IMO.

Regards,
John

www.irmstrategies.com
www.s4k.com